In the beautiful countryside of Aberdeenshire, Scotland, Scott A Cruickshank operates SAC Shooting from Mintlaw. This North East corner of Aberdeenshire in Scotland, known as Buchan, is primarily an agricultural farming and fishing country.
Due to the downturn in both these industries, along with the decline in the oil and gas offshore industry, leisure pursuits are growing and developing, hence the popularity of goose and other game bird shooting.
Parties come from all over Britain, Ireland, Australia, the USA, and the continent for the shooting. Shooters can enjoy the fine local fare at the local prestigious Saplinbrae Hotel and Lodges, originally built in 1756 by Lord Pitfour, it was originally a coaching inn, before becoming a rectory, a country house, and finally a hotel in the 20th century.
SAC Shooting offers guests outstanding roe deer stalking, wildfowl shooting, and spring, and summer pigeon shooting experiences.
- Roe Buck season is from May to September.
- Roe Does during February and March.
- Roe Deer Stalking takes place in woodland and arable farmland in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
- The thrill of the hunt, pitting wits with a wild animal can be very exciting. At all times, the hunter is accompanied by an experienced stalker who has satisfied himself with the abilities and skills of the hunter.
- They can cater to suit everyone from beginners to experienced deer stalkers. Also a wide range of deer stands and seats as well as stalking.
- Wildfowling, geese are from October through to January.
- Morning decoying is done over stubble with several decoys placed in the field before daybreak. Hopefully, as day dawns, the skeins of geese will leave their overnight roosting and come into the fields to feed.
- As with any wild bird, there is no guarantee. SAC Shooting limits the bag per shoot to 6 or 7 birds (max)per gun*, quite sufficient for the normal shooter.
*SAC Shooting operates a strict policy on this matter.
- The duck shooting season runs from September to January.
- SAC Shooting has several wild ponds in the area, which are fed at regular times, offering duck flighting.
- The most common species is mallard but when shooting wild duck, wigeon and teal will make up a large part of the bag.
Spring Pigeon Shooting
- February, March & April on winter rape and spring drillings.
- All equipment supplied.
Summer Pigeon Shooting
- The end of July, August, and September is over barley and rape stubble and later over barley and wheat drillings.
- All equipment supplied.
- Accommodation can be booked by clients at Saplinbrae Hotel and Lodges for 3 to 6-day trips. Single days are also available.
Those 16 and under shoot for free when accompanied by a paying adult.
Looking for local accommodation for your next trip? See our list of recommendations below.
- Saplinbrae Hotel & Lodges
- Saplinbrae House
Email the proprietor Joanna Gall here, or visit their website here.
SAC Shooting is keen to support young people coming into the sport, therefore they offer those under 16s to shoot for free when accompanied by a paying adult.